I encountered this error in the course of applying updates on an Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS server. The error prevented the apt-get upgrade process from completing. Attempting to remove the package (dpkg --remove unattended-upgrades) failed. A quick Google search found this solution that worked.
# dpkg –remove –force-remove-reinstreq unattended-upgrades dpkg: warning: overriding problem because –force enabled: dpkg: warning: package is in a very bad inconsistent state; you should reinstall it before attempting a removal (Reading database … 100727 files and directories currently installed.) Removing unattended-upgrades (0.90ubuntu0.9) … Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.5-1) …
That removed the package and then I was able to reinstall it and complete my package updates.
This gem comes courtesy of Mastering Vim Quickly. Before learning this trick, to move text I would yank/delete (Y/dd) the lines and then paste (p/P) where I wanted it to go. Inevitably I would either copy the wrong number of lines or paste the text in the wrong spot.
Add these lines to your .vimrc:
vnoremap J :m ‘>+1gv=gv vnoremap K :m ‘<-2gv=gv
Open your file and enter Visual Mode (V) at the beginning of the block of text that you want to move. Using j or k move the visual selection over the text. To move the text up or down use K and J. Hit escape once the text is where you want it.
By now everyone should have an SSL enabled website thanks to the Let’s Encrypt project which provides free SSL certificates that are good for three months at a time. If you don’t, check out their site and generate your free SSL certificate. The main problem with a three month SSL certificate is remembering to renew it before it expires. Fortunately Let’s Encrypt provides an application called Certbot that does automatic certificate renewal. The instructions were simple. Set up a daily cronjob that calls certbot and it will automatically renew your SSL certificate when it reaches the thirty day expiration period. No problem, I set up the following:
0 0 * * * certbot renew --quiet --no-self-upgrade
Because certbot does not renew the certificate until it reaches the thirty day threshold, there was no easy way to test it. Fortunately I stuck a reminder on my calendar to check. Sixty days later I opened my website, clicked the padlock and checked the certificate expiration date. It still had the same expiration date, ie it didn’t get renewed. Puzzled I ran the command manually:
# certbot renew --quiet --no-self-upgrade
That seemed to work fine. I checked the certificate’s expiration date and it was now ninety days into the future. There was nothing obvious in the logs so I did a Google search. I found a lot of other people reporting the same issue. It wasn’t until I saw this post that I understood the issue. The crontab had a PATH that did not include the location of certbot. When I downloaded certbot, I installed it in /usr/local/bin. By default, my crontab’s PATH did not include /usr/local/bin. There were a few ways to fix this.
Update the crontab to contain the complete path to the certbot application: